04 Jul Ways to Keep Your Mind Active
Whether you are entering a summer break from school or have retired from working or are looking to improve the sharpness of your mind, there are things you can do to keep an active mind. Thinking about ways to keep your mind active and healthy and is important, regardless of your age. There are certain medical conditions that can contribute to memory changes, but there are steps you can take to not only protect your memory but also improve it. The summertime is a great time of the year to pick up a new healthy habit. Here are some tips:
- Continue learning new things. Summer is a great time to spend time learning about a new subject. If you’ve been out of school or work, consider taking a course to expand your knowledge in a new area.
- Focus on remembering the big things. Set reminders, use a calendar and establish a routine to avoid spending time remembering small things and wasting mental energy.
- Repeat things you want to remember. Repeating things reinforces the memory and can help you retain it.
- Spread out your learning and repetition. This can help you recall more complicated information if you focus on it after several hours and over several days.
Here is a short list of some activities to consider for keeping your mind active:
- Complete puzzles (crosswords, jigsaw, etc.)
- Get adequate sleep
- Spend time reading
- Start a new hobby
- Eat healthy
- Relaxation exercises
- Spend time being social
- Cook and/or bake new things
As with any medical conditions or concerns, it is advised to consult with your healthcare provider accordingly. Information was sourced from: https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/6-simple-steps-to-keep-your-mind-sharp-at-any-age