Think about the last time someone said something encouraging to you. What was it about and how did it make you feel? Have you considered that you have the power to give encouragement back to those around you? Everyone appreciates and needs an encouraging voice in their life to help them through tough time and achieve goals.
Being that someone who can provide positivity and encouragement is a role that is valued and can be from anyone. However, being an encourager doesn’t have to be a significant role played in another person’s life. It can simply be spreading good cheer to those around you by oﬀering an encouraging word, gesture, written note or more. Here are a few ways that you can be encouraging to someone else today:
- Take the time to listen to the person
- Validate their feelings
- You don’t always have to have the solution
- Provide upbeat aﬃrmations
- Perform an act of kindness
- Think about what makes the other person happy, then surprise them by doing it
- Praise eﬀort and progress
- Give your best smile to someone
- Be authentic
- Write an encouraging note or email
Consider one or several of these to try on someone you know or care about. Help spread encouragement in our oﬃce, workplace or home and see how it can grow and change those around you!