08 Oct Choosing Your Healthcare Provider
Today, there are many online resources available to learning about a healthcare provider, from their education to reviews about what other people think of them to their job history. It is important as a patient in the healthcare field to choose the right healthcare provider for you. Receiving recommendations from a current healthcare provider or family and friend can also be useful. However, often it can take an in-person visit to ultimately decide if a healthcare provider is right for you. Without knowing someone’s background, personality, bedside manner, treatment styles, expectations, etc. it can be challenging to make the right choice. Here are some questions you can ask your healthcare provider to get to know them and make an informed decision about your care:
- How long have you been in your healthcare position?
- How best would you like to communicate with me regarding my care and/or ongoing concerns with my care?
- How can I follow up with you or your office in case of an emergency?
- Do you provide additional paper or online resources for me, post care?
- Do you have experience working with/treating ______ illness?
- Do you encourage me to ask questions and/or express my concerns?
- What is your communication style?
- If you are unavailable is there someone else I can see?
This information can also be useful to those who are healthcare providers. It is important to know what patients may be looking for and ways to increase your connection and rapport with your patients. As a healthcare team we can all work together to provide the best possible care and improve our health outcomes.