Self-esteem is the confidence one has in their own worth or abilities. Self-esteem is formed starting as early as infancy and continues to develop throughout one’s life. It can grown through experiences, learning and completing tasks. It is important to have self-esteem because it can help one to cope with mistakes and then have the confidence to try new things. It is also necessary to have self-esteem to form a healthy self-image and view other people in a healthy way too. When someone has positive self-esteem, they can be confident and think good things about who they are and their abilities. On the other hand, low self-esteem can result in a lack of confidence and can lead to self-doubt and low performance. Because we are all individuals, our self-esteem can be formed in diﬀerent ways and at diﬀerent rates. Here are a few ways you can help build positive self-esteem in your life and in those around you:
- Be aware of situations that dampen your self-esteem. Don’t stay in situations that are harmful to your self-esteem.
- Take control of your negative thinking. Become more aware of your thoughts and put a stop to them when they are negative.
- Place positive thoughts in your mind. Use positive statements about yourself to fill your head.
- Say positive accurate statements to yourself and those around you to build yourself and others up.
- Make healthy lifestyle choices including time for exercise, healthy food and spending time with people you love.
For more information on building self-esteem and the source, click here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/self-esteem/art-20045374