Thanksgiving is a holiday that many people celebrate with family, food, football, parades, traveling and charitable giving. Thanksgiving first began as a harvest festival and later became a national holiday of giving thanks to God. Still holding to that tradition is practicing giving thanks for what one has. Around many Thanksgiving tables, it is tradition to go around and have each person state what they are most thankful for. What are you thankful for this year? How do you express your thankfulness?
While the act of being thankful is remembered this time of year, it is something that should be practiced throughout the year. Thankfulness can be challenging for many who are struggling with loss, disease, stress, relationship issues, financial hardships and more. However, there are things you can do to stay thankful and being thankful can increase your overall happiness and well-being. Here are just 5 ways to stay thankful throughout the year:
- Start with stating all you are thankful for. Whether you have a short list or a long list, recognizing what you have is the start of being thankful.
- Don’t compare yourself with others. It is easy to think you don’t have a lot when you start looking around at other people. However, we are all individuals with unique lives with a lot to be thankful for!
- Make positive statements. Saying positive things can keep you and those around you feeling uplifted.
- Say ‘thank you’ to those around you. A simple ‘thank you’ can go a long way to the people you encounter every day. It can bring a smile to someone’s day and make them feel appreciated.
- Set aside time to process your day. Not allowing things to build up but taking time to reflect on things that happened can help bring thankfulness.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving season this year and spread thankfulness around your table! Information was sourced from: https://www.bustle.com/articles/104636-10-ways-to-feel-more-grateful-in-everyday-life-because-to-be-thankful-is-to-be