08 Jul 5 Tips to Save Money On Utilities This Summer
The summer heat has arrived. With soaring temperatures it can be our first instinct to crank up the air conditioner just to feel like we are surviving. However, we later pay for it in our utility bills. Whether you are renting your place, or you own it, utilities can be a big adjustment over the summer. It is important to stay cool in the summer heat, without paying a high price for it. Here are a few tips to cut back on your utility expenses this summer while staying cool.
1. Block your windows during the day. Having big open windows lets in a lot of heat and can cause your air conditioner to work more. Try investing in blackout curtains that you can place over your windows during the day to shield out the sun.
2. Unplug devices not in use. Whatever devices you are not using, unplug them. This will help you save money on your energy bill.
3. Turn up your thermostat during the day. Don’t pay for a cool home while no one is there. You can save money by keeping a warmer home while you are away. Some thermostats even allow you to program settings to that it will cool back off when you arrive home.
4. Check with your utility companies for any money saving programs that they may offer. For example, some companies charge less for electricity during the nighttime or other hours of the day which could save you money if you are running laundry or other appliances.
5. Run your fans. Fans keep you cool and cost less money to run than your air conditioner. Ceiling fans or free standing fans are both efficient to cooling you off!