04 Dec 10 Tips to Managing Holiday Stress
For many, the holidays are recognized as a time to gather with friends and/or family and celebrate. The holidays can include traditions, certain foods, gift giving, traveling and much more. However, for some, the holidays can be a challenging time of year possibly due to the loss of a loved one(s), or because of the added stress and pressure that can come with the holidays. This year plan ahead and focus on having a positive holiday season! Here are 10 tips to managing holidays stress in yourself, so that you can make the most out of this season.
- Be aware of your triggers and be sensitive to others around you.
- Maintain your weekly exercise and diet. Don’t neglect taking care of yourself.
- Start planning ahead. Do not procrastinate and leave too much till the end. This can include shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc.
- Get enough sleep.
- Focus on enjoying your time.
- Stick to a schedule and plan time to relax.
- Make time to do what you love about the holidays. Plan to experience your favorite tradition or element about the holidays.
- Set a budget for spending and stick to it. It can be tempting to go overboard with spending but sticking to a budget will relieve stress of paying bills.
- Balance your time spent with others. Spend time with others if the holidays are hard for you, but don’t fill up your time too much and neglect your time of needed rest.
- Know your limits and don’t try to do too much.
All of these tips are a good reminder to balance your holiday season and not allow yourself to become overwhelmed with all of the added pressure. The holidays do not have to be a time of stress or depression. Start off on the right foot this holiday season and enjoy yourself!